Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A few of life's lessons...

It's been a pretty eventful week...and it's only Wednesday...and I'm emotionally spent.

Nikolas got his cast off. He will be doing PT for the next 3 weeks. He's only been to one session but he has exercises to do 3x's daily. He's working so hard and doesn't put up a stink when I tell him it's time to do his exercises. When he's done with his reps, he gives me 5 more good ones. He really wants his arm to be like it used to be. Yesterday he was out on the back patio drawing with chalk. He seemed to be doing fine and then just busted out into tears. He said, "I just want my arm to work like it used to." Whew...take a deep breath. It's frustrating for me to see my kids like that.  Matt asked me if I was a superhero what would my super power be...I said, to be able to think something and snap my fingers and it would happen. I said, when Nikolas came to me crying at the backdoor, I would've wished for him to be okay and for no broken bones and POOF, he'd be fine. But Matt reminded me that if he never falls, he'll never learn to get back up. He's such a wise man, isn't he?
Well, yes, as a mother, it's easier said than done. I could stand there all day and pick up the pieces for my kids, kiss their boo-boos and wipe their tears away. But I want them to grow up and be self-sufficient, have great self esteem, be self thinkers and be able to thank me later for loving them lots and lots and letting them fall and helping themselves up...knowing always in the back of their mind that I'm their #1 fan. Whew...and he's only 6. It's gonna be a loooong road! haha...a great one, at the very least!!

Then came Sophie's graduation...from pre-school, that is...


We were just doing this last year for Niko. And here we are one year later and it's Sophie's turn. Time sure does fly!! At the ceremony, the owner of the school said a few words including something to the effect of their childhood school years flying by and soon we'd be sitting at their high school graduation. That hit me hard...I don't know what it is...it's like yesterday they were babies, learning to crawl, learning to walk, feeding themselves, learning to talk...and for some reason, it's all too easy for me to picture them graduating high school. These past 5 or 6 years have flown by...I just want it to slow down for the next 15...

Never again will the allow me to dress them up as Minnie and Mickey...


And in 10 years, this will be them...behind the wheel, driving to school together...


Oh man!!

(cut away to a Kodak commercial...)

2 comments:

  1. Omg!! Congrats Sophie wow yea time did go by fast. I just remember seeing photos of Niko in the same cap & gown. Haha I don't know if uncle Neil wants to see Niko behind the wheel yet, I remember how he drove his electric powered Jeep! Drives just like his mother! Lol

    Luv ya guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Sophie :)) I remember those photos! I showed those to Lolo and he loved looking at his two great grandchildren :)))

    ReplyDelete