Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Communication barrier...


My Sophia can be described as a number of things: silly, fashionable, sensitive, creative...the list goes on...but mostly when I look at her, I see (past) the giant untamed curls, dimples and big brown eyes and feel the warmth of her enormous heart. She has been saying for what seems forever, or about less than half of her life, that she wants to be an animal doctor so she can take care of the hurt animals. She watches animal planet and discovery channel and is amazed by the wildlife and thinks it would just be dandy if we could have a jaguar as a pet. "Oooh!! They're soooo cute!" Of course, her father promises her everything when she turns seven. She asks, "Daddy, can I get a puppy?" His response, "When you turn seven, honey"...and she smiles and giggles and is happy with that answer. She'll ask, "Daddy, could I get a guinea pig and a hamster!?" Knowing how I am not a big fan of giant rodents or anything smaller than a dog, he responds, "Absolutely! I'll get you one of each for your 7th birthday!" So, when she came in from playing outside this afternoon, why would she think the answer would be any different? It wouldn't be, but mommy did not understand quite what she was asking...

She comes in from the backyard and says, "Mommy...could I have a donation?" My first reaction was "geez this kid is getting clever with asking for money".
I said, "a what?"
She repeats, "A donation, you know...a doggy with spots."
Then my heart starts to melt and I think, "Aww...she's watched one too many animal rescue shows and thinks instead of donating money to save an animal, she could just adopt one."
And I tell her, "What do you mean? Do you want to send your money to save a doggy?"
And she looks at me like I'm crazy...
"No. I want to bring the doggy home. I want a donation. Y'know...the one with black spots!!"

OH GOODNESS! A DALMATION!! Not a donation!!

(cut away to a bell-tone hearing aid commercial...)

No comments:

Post a Comment